The Laboratory was established in 1977 on the basis of the Laboratory for Study of Genetic Consequences of Environment Denaturation. It was headed by Ye.M. Antypenko, Professor, Doctor of Sciences (Medicine). In 1992 - 2016 the Laboratory was headed by O.I.Tymchenko, Professor, Doctor of Sciences (Medicine).
Since July, 2016 E.M. Omelchenko, Candidate of Sciences (Medicine), is a head of the Laboratory.
Tel. +38 (044) 292-14-46, e-mail: email@example.com
Main directions of scientific activity:
Scientific-and-research work is based on the conception that the health of the population is stipulated both the genetic structure of human populations and the environment; genetic polymorphism and degree of heterozygocity may determine a level of sensitivity to the effect of the environmental factors; environmental contamination affects the intensity of the mutation process. They stipulated the following main directions of the scientific activity:
• Epidemiology of hereditary, congenital, and main multifactorial diseases;
• Characteristic of genetic–and-demographic processes in the population;
• Search of the ways for the reduction of the levels of eco-dependent genetic pathology.
The most significant scientific achievements
The researchers of the Laboratory
• Characterized birth rate and mortality of the urban population of Ukraine (19 regional centers) due to air pollution, scientifically substantiated and introduced in the Kyiv region a system of the preventive measures that allowed to reduce significantly the frequency of reproductive losses among population, presented the forecast of the development of the reproductive potential of the region population;
• Described genetic-and-demographic processes in the populations of large and small cities: analyzed marriage migration in them, calculated the impact of genetic and demographic structure of the population on the risk of glaucoma and the second type diabetes incidence; the obtained facts offered the assertion that indices, characterizing the degree of panmixia of the population and heterozygocity of marriages in them, might be used for the prediction of the biological adaptation of the populations and their sensitivity to the external factors, including anthropogenic pollutants;
• Developed a conception of genetic program and service of genetic monitoring in Ukraine created a methodology of its performance (Certificate of the state registration of the copyright ¹1662 ÏA of 11/01/99); within the performance of the State Complex Program of Genetic Monitoring (ratified by the Decree of the President ¹ 118/99 of 04.02.99) the researchers determined the prevalence of hereditary and congenital pathology among the newborns of Ukraine and foreground risk factors of the congenital anomalies in the newborns. Every year they determine a relative risk of the birth of the children with the guard phenotypes in the regions of the state.